Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ooops. I'm Back!

So somebody once told me that you have to do something 21 days in a row for it to become habit. Therefore, you can't blame me for the HUGE gap in blog updates this early in my blog writing career. It's just not a habit for me yet!
Anyways, there's a lot to update I guess. So sit down, get comfortable, pop open a mountain dew and do some eye warm-ups to prevent the strain sure to come from dancing those pupils across the page. Here comes a long one... ('that's what she said' jokes unnecessary)
Well, we had a cool visitor on the night of Thursday November 5. Kalai, on his way back from a Penn State concert decided to crash at our house before his flight home from Dulles the next morning. He got in way late so there wasn't a lot of time to chill, but it was nice to feel like we were able to help out such a good guy. Hopefully his show schedule out here on the east coast will pick up soon!
Early early early on November 6, Kassidy and I awoke and headed to the airport ourselves, where we met up with Jake, Kolby and Dan to fly out to Sacramento for Kensie and Mitch's wedding. Even though we were dead tired, we spent the long flight in an intense trivia battle, with my only real challenge coming from the dark and mysterious strangers in seats 14d and 28a. We survived the flight (despite a heartfelt lecture on the Right to Recline by the 5 foot tall Asian dude in front of me. Apparently it's one of the constitutional amendments that I forgot to read.) and disembarked in Sacramento on a beautiful California Friday afternoon. Actually I think it was raining, but a trip to CA sounds way better when I say the weather was sunny and beautiful. Oh well...

We dropped off our bags at the hotel (Kassidy and I got a HUGE suite) and headed straight over to help Bustle Butt (my mother-in-law) and her sisters get the church pavilion set up for the reception. Picture me on ladders with a staple gun, hanging branches and other crap by satin ribbons...(i'll give you a moment to get the picture in your mind)...and you basically were there for the entire day. Finally, around 1am California time, which was 4am to my body, we were set free to get a few hours of rest. Not that I'm complaining of course...
Saturday dawned bright and beautiful and I spent several leisurely hours relaxing in my King sized hotel room next to my wife, gazing out the window at the spectacular vista spread before me. Rows upon rows of splendid mountains, interspersed with lakes, rivers, and soaring eagles unfolded in the distance as I contemplated the benefits of spending the day fly-fishing, over stretching out the skiing muscles and launching a few ski-base jumps in the nearby cliffs. Then, the dreaded knock on the door came and the dream wilted away with the realization that there were no mountains, rivers, fly poles or skis, in fact there wasn't even sun. I was in California, but it was another overcast day in Sacramento. As I rolled out of bed, harshly snapped out of my wistful day-dream, I stretched my over-worked stapling hand and slowly slid open the curtain only to be greeted by a view of 2 freeways, some used car lots, and one bright spot on the landscape, a Del-Taco!

We got dressed and headed over to Kassidy's grandma's house for the wedding.
I would describe it, but I can't really remember. Everything about the weekend is kind of overcome by my memories of the gestational glory of the wedding food and the 3 Del-Taco/Carl's Jr. trips I took. I remember the wedding was brown and green, I think there was a wreath, I remember a photographer, and I'm positive that my wife looked sensational in her duties as maid-of-honor. Kensie and Mitch got married as I chilled with my excellent new cousins Jordyn and Kaden. My camera was violated with pictures of Amy and Janna's cleavage and, I believe, some butt cracks. And the two love-birds were joined happily ever after.
Later that evening, after some last-minute prep, came the reception. After standing still for two hours only a month earlier, greeting and fake-smiling and holding in a massive dump at my own reception, I was NOT excited for another. I had forgotten that when it's not your wedding, all you have to do is EAT!!!! and it ROCKED!!!! I ate about 34 brownies, several tons of cupcakes, and even some chips and salsa. The price of partaking in that delicacy? Posing for 4 pictures with the Bride's family. Sweet huh?! I freaking LOVE receptions when they aren't mine!
Saturday night after the reception, we had Amy and Todd come over to watch The Hangover (still as hilarious as it was the first time).
Well Sunday morning rolled around and the time came to get back on the plane. I self-medicated in the most ghetto of ways (6 tylenols and 3 ibuprofen) and survived the flight back, again winning several rounds of Delta  Trivia. And we were back in VA, only slightly worse for the wear.When I think back on the trip, several feelings emerge...Janna rocks. Amy and Todd and their family rock. Ele rocks. Wedding food is tasty. Sac-town is NOT scenic (although oddly enough, northern CA still really feels like home to me).
And, we're home.

No comments:

Post a Comment